Is that you in the waiting room?
- On the train, in a room full of people you do not know?
- Wanting to start a conversation
- with a total stranger
- but don’t know how?
- Here is a simple guide.
The key is to focus on other people
- Focus not on yourself;
- your fears, (in the moment)
- your feelings,
- your dreams,
- how you look or sound,
- your problems, rather
- focus on their fears, problems, dreams, feelings….
- Be truly interested in them!
- Think: “How can I make their world just a little better?”
- Put them at ease:
- introduce yourself;
- be open about yourself too;
- authentic compliments go a long way;
- let them invite you into ‘their space’, and
- let them be in charge of ‘their space’;
- ask questions and then – – – – – listen!
What if they do not want to talk?
- That’s alright.
- You only wanted to be a ‘friend’.
- If it was all about them, then
- it’s their loss.
- You will be surprised
- how many people wants someone to listen to them
- how easy it really is,
- once you make it about the other person!
Check back tomorrow for some examples of conversation starters!